Peaceful Pepper – Cat of the Week
Hey there! Don’t worry, I brought my resume and cover letter with me! Sorry about the stains, I accidentally spilled cat food all over my resume. We all make mistakes! I’m a passionate 3-year-old cat that enjoys helping others! Why should I be your new personal assistant? That’s easy! I’m super sweet and very professional! We’ll only cuddle after we get all of the laundry and dishes done! Don’t fret, I’ll be there with you every step of the way! Need any more convincing? Come down to KHS and see me for yourself!
Talented Tiffany – Dog of the Week
Hi! Are you looking for a new best friend?! How ironic! I am too! I’m a beautiful and kind 2-year-old dog that enjoys being around others. I constantly wag my tail and bring a positive vibe to any situation! I love running around outside and enjoying the sunshine with you! I’m a real sweet gal. I’m also part of the Lonely Hearts Club, which means my adoption fee will be reduced for you! I’ve loved getting to know all of the KHS staff, but I’m ready for a family of my own. Please come adopt me today!
Enjoy one more summer outting with the kids before school is back in session!
We're hosting our annual Family Fun Day event on Saturday, August 5th, 2017 from 11:00am - 3:00pm. Come enjoy:
- carnival-themed games
- face painting
- a photo booth
- dunk tank
- And free ice cream treats for those who visit all of the stations!
Plus, we're excited to partner with Kona Ice and Let'm Eat Brats food trucks for the event as well so your family can enjoy some extra snackage. Kids will also have the chance to see a Wichita Fire truck and meet some of the crew who will be set up outside our shelter that day from 11:00-1:00pm.
Oh - and did we mention we're also offering a $5 kitten special that day too?! It doesn't get much better than that.
Come hang out with us on August 5th, enjoy the games and food, and take home a furry new family member :)
Thanks to Petco Foundation for helping us sponsor this adoption event!
Handy Heidi – Cat of the Week
I see you looking at me. Don’t worry, I like it! I’m a beautiful 6-year-old cat that loves spending time around people. I’m the only sidekick you’ll ever need! I love hanging out with you around the house, helping you do chores, and of course, cuddling up with you on the couch! You’ll love cuddling with me because I’m super soft and furry! I know what you’re thinking, I’m the total package… you’re not wrong. Can you give me a forever home? Come down to KHS and adopt me today!
Yummy Yale – Dog of the Week
I don’t mean to be arrogant, but I know I’m a beautiful dog. Nothing wrong with a little confidence, right? I’m a 6-year-old dog that loves staying active and being outdoors! I love chasing things around the yard, going on walks, and playing with humans! People come for my active lifestyle, but they stay for my personality! I’m sweet, caring, and compassionate. I pride myself on being a great catch! Come catch me at KHS! I would love to go home with you!
Loving Lily – Cat of the Week
Word on the street is that you’re looking for a new cat! Look no further! I’m a 3-year-old cat that has a great head on my little cat shoulders! I’m a genuinely happy cat that enjoys making others happy! I’m always down to do what humans love to do! I enjoy cuddling up on the couch and watching a good movie, trips to the kitchen to grab some food, and of course collecting belly rubs! Yep, I’m a great companion to have in your life! I lived with kids and animals in my previous home and we got along just fine! Let’s start this adventure together!
Quiet Quinby – Dog of the Week
Hi there. Where to begin? I’m a quiet and sweet 8-year-old dog. I enjoy spending all of my free time lounging around the house and hanging out with humans! I have a great personality and love to showcase it! I like to think I’m one of the friendliest dogs you’ll ever meet! I’m looking for a kind family with a quiet home to adopt me! It’s time for this mature dog to find her forever home! Come down to KHS and take me home today!
The 4th of July is the perfect time of year to get outdoors and spend some quality time with you loved ones, but not all of your loved ones enjoy this time of year as much as others. We always encourage families to involve their dogs in a family gathering, however, the 4th of July is one you should leave them safely at home.
Fireworks can often be frightening and dangerous for dogs. Here are some tips for keeping your animals safe during this time of year.
- Keep your pets indoors. They should not be around the areas where fireworks are going off even if they are not fearful. Many dogs end up in the ER clinic as a result of fireworks injuries. Prepare a safe place for them in an interior part of your home where they can be confined and not as exposed to the loud noises and lights. Try playing soft, soothing music or turn on a TV to help mask the noise. You can also provide distractions like toys, frozen treats or chew bones. If you are going to be inside with your new pet try playing games with them so they do not focus on what’s going on outside.
- Wear them out ahead of time and feed them a big meal. A few hours before the fireworks begin take them on a good walk or play long game of fetch. By releasing energy ahead of time, they will have less energy during the fireworks and hopefully be less stressed. Feeding a big meal when they are done playing will help them to feel relaxed and content just as we are after a big meal.
- Make sure your pet is wearing a collar with proper ID. In the event that your new pet does manage to get out, you want to make sure that anyone who finds him/her will be able to get them home as soon as possible.
- After the fireworks are over keep your dog on a leash while outside to potty, even if you are just in the backyard. You never know when that last minute firework will go off in the neighborhood and you don’t want your dog to get scared and take off just when you think it is safe.