KHS Pet Adoption
Thank you for your interest in adopting a pet from the Kansas Humane Society! Our animal shelter gives you the opportunity for dog adoption, cat adoption, and other animals. KHS is dedicated to bringing pets and owners together to create a humane community.
IN ORDER TO ADOPT A PET:
- Must be 18 years of age or older (or accompanied by an adult)
- Have a current photo ID
- Be able and willing to spend the time and money necessary to provide training, medical treatment, and proper care for your adopted companion.
When you arrive at the Kansas Humane Society, we’ll ask you fill out an Adopter Survey. This one-page survey tells us what your kind of pet you’re looking for and helps us determine which animals might best suit your lifestyle.
You can adopt your new fuzzy friend today. Our adoption fees are:
Dogs (6 months & older): $150
Puppies (under 6 months): $200
Lonely Hearts Club Dogs: $99
High-Profile Pets: $175+
Cats (9 months & older): Pick Your Price
Tweens (5-8 months): $30
Kittens (2-4 months): $50
Guinea Pigs: $20
- Seniors for Seniors - Anyone 55 years or older who adopts a dog 5 years or older gets 50% off their adoption fee.
- Senior Dog Adoption Program - Any dog 8 years or older, receive $50 off the adoption fee.
- Veteran's Fund - KHS is working in conjunction with Family Dog & Behavioral Center as well as Midwest Battle Buddies to assist Veterans in search of a service dog. Veterans registered for the program will receive a fee waived dog adoption from KHS and service dog training assistance through either Family Dog training or Midwest Battle Buddies. For more information please contact Janice Ronald at Family Dog – (316) 755-2839, or Chip Neumann at Midwest Battle Buddies – (316) 734-9473.
- Military Pet Adoptions - Any active or retired military personnel can receive up to $50 off an adoption fee with valid military I.D. (until funds are exhausted). Sponsored by the Alice Virginia White Endowment Fund For Dog & Cat Welfare.
- Barn Cat Program - Please visit this link for more information.
- Pets for the Elderly - Any adopter 60+ can receive up to $50 off an adoption fee if they agree to have their photo taken with their new furry friend.
Need More Time?
You may place the pet on "hold," reserving that pet for you until closing time the following business day. The hold fee is $30 and may be applied towards your adoption fee; otherwise, the deposit is non-refundable and treated as a donation.
Included in Adoption
- Physical Exam
- Spay or Neuter Surgery
- Bordatella Vaccination (dogs 8 weeks and older)
- Heartworm test (dogs 6 months and older)
- Fecal Evaluation (dogs under 5 months)
- DA2PP Vaccination(s) (dogs 8 weeks and older)
- FVRCP Vaccination (cats 8 weeks and older)
- Feline Leukemia Test (cats 4 months and older)
- One Frontline Treatment
- One Heartguard Treatment
- Nail Trim
- Free 30-day Pet Health Insurance Coverage
- Transition bag of premium Hill's Science Diet food at adoption
Depending on the number of guests we’re serving, the pet adoption process can take anywhere from 60-90 minutes. Get in line before you arrive using the QLess tool on the right.
PRINT THE SURVEY AT HOME & BRING IT WITH YOU:
Once you've explored the adoption floor, let our pet adoption counselors know which animal(s) you'd like to meet. They’ll take you to one of our quiet, private visiting rooms to give you and the animal a chance to get to know each other. We encourage visits by all members of the household especially other pets and kids!
About Lonely Hearts Club and HIPP: Through our Lonely Hearts Club, we offer discounted adoption fees for special pets who due to age, size, or other reasons may need extra help being adopted. In order to continue this important program and save animal lives, our HIPP (High Profile Pets) program adoption fees help underwrite those reduced adoptions. HIPP fees for an in-demand pet may be higher than our standard fees and are determined on a case-by-case basis.